This tasty but simple vegan aparagus risotto recipe has delicious flavors. Perfect vegan dinner for whole family or friends for asparagus season! And it’s very healthy and dairy-free option for typical cheese-covered risotto 😉
This delicious risotto really shows off the flavors of the asparagus as there is no need to use parmesan cheese. Strong cheese flavor easily overcome the natural taste of asparagus. Therefore I recommend this healthy and dairy-free risotto recipe both vegans and meat-eaters.
Asparagus is also perfect for your health. It is a great source of nutrients, including fiber, folate and vitamins A, C and K.
- 250 g of asparagus cut into 2 inch slices
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 celery chopped
- 1 cup short-grain risotto rice
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine use more vegetable stock if you don't want to use wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the pale ends of each asparagus stalk because they are very woody and too tough to eat. If you don’t know where to cut you can gently bend each stalk from the end until it snaps in half and throw away the wooden part.
- Chop the asparagus stalk into 2-inch lengths. Leave asparagus head parts longer for decoration. Cook in salted boiling water for a few minutes until just tender. Drain and and set aside.
- Chop the celery, onion and garlic finely. In a saucepan add the olive oil, celery and onion and cook for two minutes on a high heat. Add the rice and garlic and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until absorbed by the rice.
- Start adding warm vegetable stock small amount at a time, stirring between each addition to allow the liquid to be completely absorbed. Repeat this process until the rice has swelled up but still has a good bite.
- Add the cooked asparagus ( you can leave some head parts for decoration ) and mix gently.
- Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve warm.