The delicious and healthy vegan recipe for roasted tomato soup. After trying this amazing soup you never want to use canned tomatoes anymore 🙂 Non-dairy but super creamy! Roasting tomatoes helps them taste sweeter and slightly caramelized giving them an intensely deep and rich flavor. And adding cashews to the soup makes it even more filling. This tomato soup is so tasty that even my picky daughter, who never eats tomatoes, loves it!
Did you know that cooked tomatoes are healthier than raw ones?
Tomatoes are a great source of lycopene, a plant chemical that is an excellent antioxidant. Lycopene increases when tomatoes are cooked as compared to raw ones.
If you want to make creamy tomato soup without nuts, I recommend using 1/2-1 cup of coconut milk instead.
You can also easily turn this to a vegan Tomato Basil soup. Just add about 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves to the blender and blend along with the rest of the soup ingredients.
Roasted Tomato Soup
- First to prepare tomatoes:
- 700 g 5-7 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Rest of the ingredients for the soup :
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp dried basil or a small handful of fresh leaves
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup raw cashews optional, but it makes this soup so creamy
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cut the tomatoes and onion to 4 pieces each and spread onto the baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the mixture and season with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Roast in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Move the roasted tomatoes and onion to a large pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Let them simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender until smooth.
- If you want to have very smooth tomato soup, pour the mixture through a strainer.
- ( Don't throw away the leftovers, they make for a tasty tomato dip for bread or veggies. )
- Serve hot with bread.