This a simple, healthy vegan chicken noodle soup recipe to warm you up in cold days. Feel free to modify this soup with any veggies you have.
To make this like a vegan “chicken noodle soup” I used freezed tofu for chicken substitute. Freezing firm tofu makes the texture look like chicken chunks. Place tofu in the freezer for at least 3 hours. I always have some in my freezer, you can’t just put the package of tofu right into the freezer when coming from a store. When you want to use it, just unwrap the tofu and let it defrost. Squeeze out excess water and use your hands to crumble it to “chicken bites”.
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup macaroni
- 2 medium-size carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250 g tofu
- 1 tsp curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- To prepare you tofu chicken you need to have frozen tofu in your in the freezer. ( you can use tofu from the fridge but then the texture is not the same ).
- Thaw the tofu and press as much water out as possible. Using your hands, tear tofu to bite-size chunks.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add tofu chunks on a dry pan. Stir until all water is out and tofu looks dry.
- Add curry powder and season with salt and pepper. Mix gently so that spices go all over tofu.
- Add olive oil and fry the chunks for a minute or two. Set aside.
- Prepare the soup
- Chop the carrots, celery and onion in smaller pieces ( I like them similar size as macaroni ).
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute the veggies for 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and vegetable broth and bring it to boil.
- Stir in macaroni and cook for 10 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Add tofu chunks into a soup and mix gently. Serve hot.