Healthy, amazing vegan mac and cheese recipe that is incredibly creamy and cheesy! This is the best Vegan Macaroni and Cheese recipe I have made so far. I have tried this recipe also for super picky kids and they loved it! So don’t be afraid of healthy ingredients, this vegan cheese sauce taste amazing!
Apart from being healthy the best thing about this Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe is that it’s really quick and easy to make! You can boil potatoes, carrots, and cashews at the same time in one pot and then just put all ingredients in a blender and blend until it becomes a creamy vegan cheese sauce. When the pasta is al-dente, stir in the sauce and serve! It doesn’t get much easier or faster than that.
Note! Not only that it tastes super cheesy and delicious – Nutritional yeast is full of vitamins and minerals, being an excellent addition to a healthy plant-based diet.
This Vegan macaroni and cheese recipe is naturally gluten-free if you choose a gluten-free pasta to serve it with. I recommend chickpea pasta if you like to add a little more protein to this dish.
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- macaroni of your choice
- vegan mac and cheese sauce:
- 1 cup about 150 g cashews
- 2 carrots 150 g
- 4 potatoes 300 g
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 - 2 cups of water if possible, first use the cooking water you used for potatoes and carrots
- Peel and cut the potatoes and carrots in smaller pieces. Carrots cook slower than potatoes so I recommend keeping the potato cubes a bit bigger than the carrot slices. The smaller pieces you make, the faster they cook.
- Place potatoes, carrots, and cashews in a large saucepan or pot. Add enough cold water to cover everything. Add 1/2 tsp salt to the water. Turn the burner on high and bring water to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Boil for about 15 minutes until carrots are fork-tender.
- Pour the cooking water to a separate bowl and place all the cheese sauce ingredients in a blender ( including the cooked potatoes, carrots, and cashews ). Add 1 cup of cooking water and start blending. Add more water slowly if needed until you get a creamy cheese sauce consistency.
- Cook the pasta al dente in salted boiling water. It usually take about 5-7 minutes depending on what kind of pasta you are using. Look at the cooking time listed on the package of your pasta and cut down from that for a few minutes. Taste the pasta, it should feel firm but not too crunchy. Drain the pasta and rinse quickly under cold water to stop it from overcooking. Return the pasta to the pot and stir in the cheese sauce a few spoonfuls at the time until you like the consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Sprinkle some ground paprika and bits of green onion on top ( optional ) and serve.