When someone asks me what is the best vegan recipe for picnic or party, I always say pasta salad! This creamy vegan macaroni salad recipe will impress your family and friends. And best of all, you can make it the night before and store in a fridge. And instead of unhealthy mayo I used my own cashew based dressing recipe. For gluten-free pasta salad option just use gluten-free pasta.
Gluten-free and Dairy-free pasta salad is a perfect recipe for parties as anyone can eat it. If there is someone with nut allergies just use vegan mayo instead of cashews. And of course you can change the vegetables for this recipes or add black olives or so. Make it as you like it! Vegan pasta salad will stay good at least 4 days in a fridge, maybe longer but I have never been able not to eat it before 😉
Vegan Pasta Salad
- 400 g macaroni
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 carrots
- Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1 cup soaked cashews in hot water for 15 minutes or in a refrigerator overnight
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 juice of lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- 3-5 tbsp water
- Cook the pasta "al dente" in a salted boiling water. ( Start tasting the pasta after six or seven minutes, It should feel firm, but not too crunchy,) After cooked, rinse under cold water.
- Chop the bell pepper, onion and celery to small pieces and grate or chop the carrots.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Start with 3 tbsp of water and add more water 1 tablespoons at a time if it's too thick. This dressing is at its best when a little bit runny.
- Combine all in a large bowl and mix well until the dressing is fully coated over macaroni and veggies.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store vegan pasta salad in a fridge in an airtight container, It will last good at least 4-5 days.