Healthy and delicious Chickpea salad sandwich recipe that is super easy to make!
You could also call this a “vegan tuna sandwich”. Of course, it doesn’t taste like real tuna but if you are looking for a similar type of recipe, this is your vegan version! And super easy to make.
Chickpeas are high in protein and make an excellent replacement for meat in vegan diets! For gluten-free option just use gluten-free bread. Or you can also enjoy this chickpea salad inside lettuce wraps.
If you don’t want to use mayonnaise, try my cashew cream cheese instead.
- 400 g can of cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 100 g pickles chopped
- 1 rib celery finely chopped
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 juice of lemon
- A bit of fresh parsley and/or dill use 1 tsp dry if you don’t have fresh
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Add to a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork for texture.
- Chop the onion, celery and pickles finely. Mince the garlic.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl, and mix well with a spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- To assemble the sandwich, toast 2 slices of bread and and prepare any other sandwich toppings you desire (tomato, lettuce, cucumber).
- Scoop a good amount of filling onto both slices of bread, add desired toppings on one slice and top with other.
- You can store the chickpea mixture in a air-tight container in a fridge for at least 3-5 days and make easy, quick sandwiches when in a hurry.